Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I have a Question

Recently I have been bombarded with questions.  Questions regarding my personal life, my business life, my private life and my future life.  Questions that are quirky and questions that are meant to be thought provoking and poignant.  Some questions are just because, some are to be nosie, some are out of the box and some are funny as hell.   So, I thought I would compile a few and broadcast them in this blog for all of you who wondered to ask the same or related questions.  Now, I pride myself in being somewhat private and at the same time an open book once provoked.  In doing either, I have put my foot in my mouth, offended, confused, enlightened and challenged those of you who have asked the question or listened to my banter.  So, here I go:

Questions and Answers: 

1. Why are you so critical of weddings? Meaning, the decor, the bride, the process?  (if this is the starter question to the interview, there is no way but down)
     A:  Because 95% of weddings all look the same, not including the weddings I have decorated or been a part of, clearly.  Bride's often buy bad dresses, copy magazine "looks", hire dated planners, serve horrible food and melt down.  The best weddings I have done are those composed of character, style, uniqueness and void of planners (you know, those who interfere in what is right because they want a commission check from vendors so they would rather book what they know rather than help to create what can be).   Frankly, all brides and their grooms should elope. 

2.  Are you often misread or misunderstood? (I don't understand)
     A:  I often don't care about either. 

3.  What inspires you? (ba-oring question)
     A: Truth.  Whether it be an artist who expresses his or her self without boundaries or the rawness of a confession from an friend or foe.  I love the underdogs in this world.  I am inspired by ambition and drive.  I am inspired by scenes; like the feeling of an McQueen or Dries Van Noten runway show.   Its funny, however, everyday nature doesn't inspire me, maybe because I take it for granted or it becomes ordinary.  Perhaps that's why I love the desert.  It seems dead and endless which equals quietness and calm.  I am inspired by color in waves of flowers and texture, but I seem to always lean towards dark flowers and interiors.  

4.  Why are you single? (if the interviewer has a brother who is a doctor, the answer to this question could become very skewed)
    A: This I am asked, lately, all the time and its so frustrating as if to ask why am I tall or blue eyed.  So, I have finally found an answer to this question and it goes something like this: At this time I do not wish to bring anyone into the life I am living at the moment.  I find peace in being single. 

5.  What motivates you to get out of bed in the morning? ( I always think this is a dumb question)
    A: My body wakes up.  I get out of bed.  I get on with my day. That's life. 

6.  Are you always controlling? A perfectionist? (as I looked up to notice a dangling, dead branch in the tree outside my office window and was momentarily distracted)
    A: Can you sit to my right please?

7.  What makes you laugh? (I wanted to say to the interviewer that her lisp is making me laugh, but..)
    A:  Real life, real people.  I am horrible at jokes, therefore, I never find them funny.  I like when someone's exaggerated expression creates a mockery of another person. Hmm, I guess making fun of other people makes me laugh.  Yep, I'll go with that.   

8.  Do you play well with others?  (what does "play" mean, I wonder, hmmmm)
    A:  If others play well with me I do.  Listen, I like "playing" with people who work hard and work smart.  I like having a common goal or interest.  I hate micromanaging tasks that are common sense/street smarts.  Yes, I expect people to read my mind most of the time. Realistically, that never happens, so I rely on those I am "playing" with to have the obvious common sense or integrity to play fairly without stopping the game.   And, it depends on who I am "playing" with, of course.

9.   Pet peeves? (this question for starters is a pet peeve)
    A:  Many, but mostly, liars.  Oh! And cab drivers when I am not in the cab and semi trucks on residential streets and honkers and loud talking and bad questions....AND ignorance, racism, parades and waiting for a table at a restaurant even though I had a reservation.


10.  What makes you cry?  (I wanted to say "Everything", so I did)
    A:  Everything. I can cry at a drop of a hat.  Again, its real life, and most often its the sweetest things that make me cry the hardest.  Not because they make me sad, rather they make me feel so good inside that it provokes tears or all out bauling.

11. What is your biggest frustration? (tricky, tricky question..where do I begin, hmm)
   A.  Lately, my biggest frustration has been with people who lack integrity, individuality and respect.  Also, people who feel entitled.  I have been dealing with an ex-employee who decided to be just like me and use what I have built as his own platform for "success".  It is incredibly frustrating seeing such lack of confidence in people who could otherwise be unique and awesome if they just tried a little harder.  

12.  Do you trust people too much?  (grrrrrrrrrrr)
   A. Yes, well, I used to be very trusting.  I have come to learn that people are generally good, but watch your back.  For instance, I like to give.  I like to help.  I respect others, differences and all.  But, when that respect is mistreated or misused, I no longer trust.  Lets face it. How much can a person give without receiving before the connection is disconnected?  I trust those who share the same respect I have for them as they have for me.  

13..  What's your next chapter? (as if I have completed all other chapters, this question made me feel old)
   A: I have yet to get through and conquer this chapter.  Who knows!! That's why its so great to be present in what I am and what I am doing now. 

14. Do you ever slow down?
  A. Yes, a couple times each day.  My mind doesn't rest, ever, thank god. 



These questions are the tops as they are asked me over and over and over again by friends, family, clients, editors, interviewers, etc.  Some, if find boring to both ask and to answer.  If I were an interviewer I would ask the hard questions like:  When did you first have sex? and When was the last time you faked a good time in front of a host/hostess?  I want the grit.  I like to know the details and could care less about the outcome.  Much like watching a trial, I like to know all the parts of the crime not just what happens at the end.  I like questions that mean something and get to the root.  I have found that people ask the same questions because its easy.  I question myself often.  It's those questions I ask myself that are always the hardest ones to answer and often, when able to answer them, I change my mind anyway.  However, those questions to myself that challenge me go unanswered or take much longer to answer.  Questions! They are the premise of our lives. 
Got a really good question for me?  Shoot it over and I might answer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment