Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Perfect Subtraction

Once, I mean, Thrice I visited a place about 8 hours away via airplane, train and taxi to an oasis of all things simple, strong and pure.  I am referring to my many visits to one of my favorite lifestyle stores in the world: Wolterinck.  Nestled amongst tall oxidized steel beams with blooming vine or dried leaf depending on your timely visit and a grey gravel parking lot (small enough for 5 Mini Coopers or three large Mercedes) stands an ivory tower of sorts away from the bustling sidewalks of Amsterdam and in a small artist community of Laren.  My first visit left me wide mouthed and gasping, my second visit I brought friends and relished in the "follow me" introductions to the space and the third visit had me sipping champagne and feasting on the seasons freshest food  at a private dinner for us with Mr. Marcel Wolterinck in his Orangerie out the back doors of the store, fire burning in the stone fireplace, symmetrical table settings and room decor and the warmth only a stylized professional could impart.  A great evening of which I will never forget.  But what has always stood out in this space filled with table top, flowers, furniture, cashmere, a marbled working kitchen and his offices, is the atrium which stands proud cut in the center of the space, three floors high.  Its brilliant white, a glass roof, strong lines, completely walkable from all sides and then two giant apple trees puncturing the simplicity and turning the almost airborne branches into crooked swords of 19th century warriors.  These tree branches bloom soft white flowers which seamlessly dance above the three levels of light.  The contrast of the craggy branches against the taut lines of railing, walls and windows effortlessly create a solitary place of peace and growth.  Wolterinck says himself: " A more beautiful and more significant contrast is scarcely imaginable".
So, when it suits you, find this store, stay awhile, look up, down and in-between and you will be harmonized once again with nature and possibility.
Here's is where you can find it:
Wolterinck
Zevenend 33e
1251 RL Laren, N-H
The Netherlands
+33(0)355383909

1 comment: