Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thanks for Giving: Part Three - Legs, Thighs and Breasts

I understand tradition and I understand that for many years I have only tried to incorporate it in my modern life.  I will go as far as to say when I go full out modern, my traditions seem to shine through in small details.  In a previous blog, I wrote on how to change things up by ditching the dinner.  But, I am practical and I'm not the king of ruling out the traditional Thanksgiving dinner for all people in the land.  A few years ago, I decided to rule out cooking a giant 25lbs turkey opting for cooking several small breasts, turkey breasts that is.  The year after I focused on thighs and legs, again, I refer to those of the turkey kind.  Success!!!! The legs, thighs and breasts cooked separately from the entire carcass were more flavorful, easier to serve and made packing leftovers a breeze (not to say there was much left over if i do say so myself).   In half the time and half the oven space, you can cook up turkey breasts, legs or thighs or all three and you will be a happy person.  Lets face it; no one really knows how to carve giant roasted bird very well.  The breasts are usually dry and the thighs get mangled by novice carvers.  By cooking the breasts (still on the bone), you will have guests and yourself alike never wanting to roast a full bird again.  Also, carving is a cinch.  Full legs on a guests plate are a bit Renaissance, but kids like to peck on them and they make for happy fodder.  Turkey thighs are the most flavorful, but perhaps the ugliest of the parts.  Try roasting them along with the breasts and then tuck them under the final presentation on the platter.  There are a bunch of great recipes for roasting turkey breasts and I challenge each and everyone of you to give it a try this year.  My favorite recipe is the simplest and I thank Ina Garten for it (google search: "Turkey Breast Ina Garten").  Again, I only try to inspire you to think a bit differently.  But, I will gladly take the honor of being crowned King after you have tried this easy and tasty alternative.   One more thing: White platters look best when presenting meat of any kind.  A relief map, multi colored turkey shaped platter seems to take the WOW out of your sliced turkey as I lies there counting its final moments before its devoured.  No need to wonder why so  many of these colorful platters are on sale at deep discounts right before and immediately following Thanksgiving.  Oh, yes, just one more note or food for thought.   Carve the turkey before it hits the table.  No need to create a carving station on your dining table, after all, you aren't the Old Country Buffet.  Gobble Gobble.

No comments:

Post a Comment