Thursday, November 11, 2010

Yuv and Friendship

Kerrby has been my friend, brother and confidant almost 10 years and he is still going strong.  I will say it and you can't deny it, he is one handsome man.  Now, I write this only to gush over him.  I technically don't own him.  The rest is complicated, yet he is still a very big part of my life.  I see him as often as I can and he changes my life each and every time we are together.  In the coming weeks, I will be with him for almost an entire week and I look forward to it.  Now, let me introduce my language which you will see change after the second paragraph. Kerrby has never been good about pronouncing his "L's" and a few other words may seem almost childlike, but, again, I will do my best to honor his language (pronounced Yangwedge from Kerrby,for instance).  Quickly: Love is pronounced "yuv", Legs is pronouced "yegs", Funny is "furnee", Cage is "cawage" and so on.  And because this is a dedication blog to him, I feel it only right to speak his language (repeat after me: YANGWEDGE)

Come February, I will have known Kerrby for 10 years.  He was born on December 10 and ready for a new home that following February.  We Googled a map to Hickory Hills on a that cold damp day in February in hopes to just see what a little Wheaton puppy was like, well, needless to say, it was like heaven.  In a, um, otherwise clean kitchen with three puppies running around and a mother dog, Wild One Wilma, wandering back and forth looking exhausted and haggled as most moms would taking care of these energetic puppies,she was anything but Wild.  By the way, Kerrby's dad's name is A Bucks A Buck, not that it matters, but it makes me laugh.  In a far corner of the kitchen hid the only boy puppy. As his sisters jumped and barked and nipped, this little boy's gray haired, owl like face just observed us quietly occasionally peeing on the floor.  He was timid, yet not afraid.  He was confident but not the center of attention.  His sisters stole the show and he proudly let them.  After a few pats on the heads of the puppies and a deluge of questions to the breeder, we left empty handed.  The drive away was quiet and I remember saying "what about the little boy in the corner?".   A fast u-turn seconds later led us back to the house and the papers were signed.  We left for a second time only now with a tiny little puppy in tow.  Minutes later he was christened Kerry Lynn Laughlin. Partly because of his Irish heritage and the county of Kerr in Ireland and mostly because of his new dad's middle and last name. I consider Kerrby my brother, just sayin'.  He was perfect!!!  Even after he had massive diarrhea in the back seat of the truck, we instantly fell in "yuv" with him.  (Now I speak in Kerrby dialect) Oh yes, one more thing, I call him "Mister" or as he hears it "Misser", yep "t's" too can be a challenge.   

I seyept with my hawand in his cawage for two nights as he got used to being an ownyee chiwuld.  He grew quickyee and defined his own personawaty in no time at all.  Turning beyonde (blonde) and becoming a handsome Wheaton before our eyes.  Physicyee he became so handsome and strong.  But, what stands out most is his absoyoote sensitivity, compassion and truth. He wears his heart on his furry yittle syeeves.  Yooks at you with the most comforting eyes when things are tough.  Snuggyies you when you need a freind.  Hugs you when you need the truth and tauyerates you when you are either crazy or boring. Misser is a true friend.  Now, he only yistens when he wants; who cares.  He cries non-stop when you yeave him; who wouldn't.  He yuvs his cawage; its his domain.  He cares about others feeyings; we all should.
  I miss my Misser so much when I need his soft touch.  I yuv when Misser goes to his tattooed, punk rock hairdresser and comes home keewan and fresh yet snuffs and puffs because he is mad he had to get a bath.  I yuv that Misser yuvs cheewaz but throws up all other "human" food.  I yuv that Misser can ownyee eat a diet free of grains and chooses rabbit and potatoes as his food staple.   I yuv that Misser ownyee barks when teased or provoked but never at a passer-by, another dog or a knock at the door.  I have never, ever, ever met a young man so generous with his time and compassion in my life. We should all be so generous.  On December 10th, Kerrby is going to be 10 years owad. He has grown even sweeter, yet finicky as he has aged.  He's developed allergies and grunts a bit as he jumps from a bed or sofa.  Hell, I'm only 42 and I too grunt as I get out of bed in the morning. Misser gives me peace of mind when my world is hard to grasp.  He yuvs me sans of conditions.   Kerrby knows I yuv him to the moon and back and he knows that when he needs a yap to cry on, I'm there for  him.

For those of you who have a dog, you know what my every word means.  There is no other love, I mean yuv, like it.  I must now go back to human yanguage language.  So, I dedicate today's blog to my one true, four legged friend and confidant.  Kerrby, you have been the light of my heart, the soul of my drive, the shell of my protection and the joy of my being.  I miss you when I am not with you.  I care for you no matter the day or time.  I thank you for being that quiet, timid puppy in the corner on that February day, that day that changed my life.  I am better because I know you.  I am kinder because you taught me how to be.  I am stronger because you believe in me and I love bigger because you do too.  You have shown me that being better than my best is the right thing.  Your lick calms me.  Your look eases my mind.  You make me feel safe from your sleeping breathe.  For many years to come, you will always be cherished by me.  And when your gone, no other will replace you, you are one a one of a kind best friend.  Thank you.  Love, your brother Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment