Friday, November 5, 2010

The Motion In My Mind

My mind doesn't rest after 4am.  Not sure why, it just won't stop igniting its engine.  I think of things like: what to do with all my so called lottery winnings, will the scones at Red Hen Bakery still be hot when I get there,  why does my little toe feel longer on my right foot compared to my left foot, i hope my underwear drawer doesn't present me with that one pair you never wear because it fits bad but you didn't have time to wash a new batch and its only there for days like this; you know, things like that.  This morning my mind was going crazy at approx. 4:25am challenging me to reconsider the furniture arrangement in my living room.  Anyway, as the morning progressed and after my 2nd cup of coffee, the company in my head was considering which flowers to choose for my clients and random orders alike.  As I stumbled over a pile of leafy red sumac branches my eye reached to a display of blooms that one would think only synonymous with Spring.  Hyacinths, tulips, viburnum and peony all stacked up and ready for their cozy waterlogged resting place.  I reluctantly passed on these fast forward blooms and settled for a more seasonal variety of deeper, hardier tones and textures.  The Spring blooms can wait for now, they will have their time.  By 3pm, most afternoons, okay, all afternoons, the motion in my mind stops and settles down for a brief nap.  Really, it stops.  Don't get me wrong. I can still talk, read, drive and dance, but ask me for an idea regarding a lighting fixture or centerpiece, forget it.   I have no regrets and I certainly don't loose sleep over my minds clock.  In fact, I look forward to it waking me up tomorrow morning with its vision for the day.  And, I look forward to its nap as short as it often is.   Oh yeah, how could I forget, my longish pinky toe will be crossed over my, um, ring toe? in hope I won some sort of lottery, in any way, shape or form.

No comments:

Post a Comment