Thursday, November 11, 2010

You Are Welcome!!

Photo courtesy of The Maisy Report

I thought I would blog to all of you a list.  The sort of list that can make your life a little bit better, a little easier and little more fun.  Now, there is homework involved and I am the first to tell you I have never been one to like homework let alone actually do it.  However, these tasks, if you will, only take a few minutes and if you really put yourself into them, it won't feel like work.  Because work can be stressful, why bother with it when you don't have to or want to do it.  These are a few of my favorite things to do to make my life that much better. Alas, I give you some ideas that will work for you, not against you.  Let me premise this with "You Are Welcome"!!!

1. Make homemade Hot Chocolate from scratch (see Tyler Florence's recipe in his book "Tyler's Ultimate")..you will be thanking me and, for that matter, him, but I am a bit more accessible.  I sometimes add a dose of booze to really relax.
Homework: shop for the ingredients, stir the pot and indulge in the decadence.

2. Make homemade Marshmallows (see Barefoot Contessa's recipe in her book "Family Style")..again, you will thank me and its fun, easy and ohhh sooo good.  They aren't better for you, they are just homemade by you,  which in a weird sort of way, makes them feel better to eat and they are great atop the above mentioned hot chocolate
Homework: make a day in advance and impress all your friends.


3. Paint a room a dark color like gray or black, even chocolate.  You may be surprised how it relaxes you and makes your room seem like your own little retreat of cozy.  Don't be afraid of the dark colors (sans primary colors).  Neutrals like gray, black or chocolate can enhance your mind and spirit without confusing your mind with shocking color or the lack thereof (ie: white).
Homework: pick a room to call your own and paint it without objection

4. Forage the neighbors trees of their berried branches.  This is best done in the middle of the night when the world is sleeping.  Bring them home and smash the base of the branch to open it up then place it in hot water housed in a vase of your choosing.  You will have them throughout the season and even dried, they look great.
Homework: well, just read the above again


5.  Clean out your refrigerator.  Ahhh, the way it makes you feel upon completion.  Purge all those open salad dressing bottles and cling wrapped bowls of unrecognizable food.  Toss out everything you haven't used in 3 months or that is taking up space.  Its great to do it now before the holidays hit and you need the space.
Homework: get a damp towel and a big garbage bag and start tossing

6. Stop worrying about collecting and designing with odd numbers.  Who came up with that anyway?  There is something to say about symmetry.  Its easier on the eye when the numbers are even.  A balance happens in your home and your life when there are equal parts decor or table settings.  I like the number one, but why buy three of something when you only need 2.  Remember, balance is good.
Homework: walk your home and take away one thing at a time. 

Those are my top 6.  Surely I have more, but I promised myself, as I sip on my hot chocolate and eat my melting marshmallow in my room painted elephant gray with my two sturdy vases flanking the mantle dancing with berried branches, that I would not go to bed tonight without cleaning out the fridge. 

Again and again; You Are Welcome!!

1 comment: