Saturday, November 6, 2010

At The Table

A table set simply is a table of comfort.  Yep, that's my philosophy.  I've been to the best parties where the table's have consumed me, so much so, it was hard to enjoy the company at my table let alone the food that was served.  I don't live a cluttered life, so when a table set, or design if you will, becomes cluttered, so does my mind.  As a child, I don't remember the table we sat at each Sunday afternoon at my Grandma's house being cluttered. I regress, the clutter was the dishes of food awaiting consumption and satisfaction.  But the table's decor was a simple trio of candles placed as not to interfere with the roasted pork and cream peas.  Also, a fresh pick of flowers from the garden either rested in a shallow crystal bowl or they stood like soldiers in a smattering of bud vases down the tables center.  NOTE: all flowers were real, not the faux, pliable, dusty types.  I have been a big advocate of simple, understated, yet impacting table decor, among other things. The trick really is the details when keeping a setting simple.  For instance, using real flowers and elements, having candles that burn with wick and wax (not the flickering battery options) and a simple cloth when needed.  I have used painters drop clothes (see pic above) to cover a table's top.  Why not, really.  If its good enough for drops of paint, its good enough for a splatter of bbq sauce or a fainting full glass of wine.  I love a branch with all its avenues and detours of its natural growth resting solely down the center of a table warmed by tiny votive candles.  But, I also like a centerpiece constructed of glassware, of the crystal persuasion, en mass down a long table.  I use the glasses as my candle holders and vases. Full, yet simple and a memory as strong as your best rib roast.  Again, and I hate being pushy, but keeping a table's decor simple will create a perfect, memorable and comfortable dinner for family or friends.  Too bad we couldn't turn our tables around once and take off the first thing we see.  After all, Chanel did it when dressing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment